Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Moving Along with websites and wikis
This is all a bit overwhelming when you don't actually know what your doing. I kept reading the class wiki and trying to figure out what we were suppose to be doing. We currently have six topics under effective and efficient internet. I finally decided I would write down the topics and do an internet search to see what I could come up with to add to the wiki. I hope I'm on the write track. I noticed a classmate added some info from the Richardson book. It seems to be kind of an open ended assignment. I don't like that I need some kind of guidance. Then the website designing graphic pics of what my website might look like another daunting task because I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I guess Im allowed to use powerpoint or word but I don't know how on earth I'm going to present a website with those. If I had Smart Draw or Inspiration, it would be the same dilemma as I have with dreamweaver, I paid $199 for the student version and it doesn't come with a manual for dummies. Websites and wikis and blogs, oh my!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thanks for the idea on where to go with the wiki. I keep reading the updates but I never feel I have anything important enough to add. My knowledge base seems below the the rest of those contributing.
ReplyDeleteSusan
You are actually on the right track. Start with the topics that are there on the wiki and see what you can find to add to them (no, you don't have to know about it all beforehand). As you get more comfortable, you might think of another topic to add or how to edit what someone said...things like that.
ReplyDeleteThere are two things that you might want to draw for the website design. One is how the pages will be linked. Each page could be a box with the page title; lines would indicate what is linked to what (too many links can get really confusing for users).
The other thing is a "storyboard" that shows what a couple of pages might look like in very abstract form. Start with a big box of the same proportions as a computer screen. Add other boxes and label them to show where titles, menus, text, graphics, etc will go. There is no need to show the actual content.
I don't feel I have anything important enough to add either Susan.
ReplyDeleteOh no Now I'm in a panic. I wish I would have read this comment before I turned in my Design that I have been working on for about a week. I did all the things in my design that your saying not to do and I am so limited with this template I have to work with. AAHH! Rochelle
ReplyDelete